In January of 2017, during the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Warwick Audio Technologies showcased and demonstrated the world’s first portable, over-ear electrostatic headphone. Six “proof-of-concept” prototypes highlighted our HPEL transducers and HPEL Portable Drive Electronics Modules in a premium portable headphone application.
These innovative prototype headphones demonstrated the audio performance and sonic quality that can be achieved when reproducing Hi-Res Audio using Warwick Audio’s solutions in a realistic, low power portable application.
Following is a short list of the prototype headphones’ features:
- Isolated closed-back design - the standard for circumaural mobile headphones
- Fully self-contained – no outboard components or wiring
- Utilises standard High-Precision Electrostatic Laminate (HPEL) transducers
- Utilises separate left and right amplifier modules with integrated power supply
- Rechargeable LiPo battery with 8+ hours typical life between charges
- Bluetooth 4.x wireless streaming with aptX HD
- 3.5 mm analog input
- High resolution audio performance
- 24-bit/192 kHz ADC and DAC
- On-board DSP for equalisation and distortion reduction pre-processing
- 64-bit, fixed-point processing
- Power on/off/standby
- Volume up/down/mute